How do I know if I need a Public Defender?

If you are under investigation for a federal offense or if you were contacted by a federal law enforcement agency or any other agency concerning a federal investigation or alleged crime that could be federal, you may need a Federal Community Defender. Non Felony charges should contact the Spokane County Public Defenders Office.

Some of the federal agencies are the U.S. Attorney's Office, Dept. of Justice (DOJ), Border Patrol, Department of Homeland Security, Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Immigrationand Naturalization Service (INS), Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF), Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and U.S. Postal Inspector. In addition, if you were subpoenaed to appear in U.S. District Court, you may need a Federal Community Defender.

You have the right to speak to an attorney prior to questioning and you have the right to have an attorney with you during questioning. If you are contacted by any of these agencies, tell them that you are requesting an attorney and contact our office using the information provided on the home page.